2GB limit

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Oct 8 00:37:06 BST 2010

On 3 October 2010 06:49, Maritza Mendez <martitzam at gmail.com> wrote:

In some ways the simplest fix for this is for someone to build and
publish a 64-bit bzr Windows build.  (There was a thread recently.)
The most immediate problem is arguably not that bzr's holding the
whole thing in memory, but that it can't use all of your machine's vm
to do it.  Even laptops come with more than 2GB these days.

> 1. How soon is bug 109114 [https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/109114]
> likely to get attention from Canonical?

It's not something our internal stakeholders are hitting so far,
because we just don't tend to deal with trees with single enormous
files.  We do deal with enormous trees and John and others have done
some work on memory usage there, with good results.

That said, we do fix a lot of other bugs that aren't directly on our
plan, including performance things, and we are even more likely to
help someone else who wants to start working on this.  Karl recently
put up a patch for http://pad.lv/551391 to report what we're using
memory on when we run out, which is a step towards that.

> 3. How hard would it be to add a bzr ignore rule that is based on filesize
> instead of or combined with filename patterns?  My biggest fear is that
> someone (like me) will accidentally try to commit a file which we know bzr
> cannot handle and then having to un-do the damage to the repo, hopefully
> before any more commits are made.  Being able to block-by-default commits of
> files exceeding a configurable size would help protect the integrity of the
> repo and help me keep my developers productive.  I realize this is dangerous
> (missing content) but not as dangerous as downtime.  As Philip Peitsch
> mentioned yesterday (what a coincidence!) explaining downtime to management
> is not pleasing.

I think you could use a precommit hook to check this, and there is a
bug asking for a builtin feature to warn about committing large files.
 I think that would be quite useful, even if we had no size limits at
all.

--
Martin