Updating from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 seems to have caused some hassles (using bzr-svn)

Philip Peitsch philip.peitsch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 08:52:45 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Philip Peitsch
<philip.peitsch at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just a quick warning that if you are using bzr-svn, updating from 2.2.0 to
> 2.2.1 may not be as safe as I first hoped.  At least 5 of the devs I work
> with have found their local repositories now suffer from
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/485601 when attempting to check files
> into a remote repository running bzr 2.1.1.  Note this may not affect
> "normal" bazaar workflows, as we make heavy use of bzr-svn, and most of our
> synchronization happens via an svn trunk, rather than peer-to-peer bazaar
> sync'ing.
>
> I don't really know why these have been affected in this way, and am not
> really sure how to debug it... so please just consider this email a timely
> reminder to ensure things are backed up prior to upgrading :)
>
> (For those who are interested, not data was lost as the remote repository
> contained all required data... it is just an inconvenience to have to spend
> 30+mins rebuilding the repos again for each dev)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Philip Peitsch

Hello again kindly people,

First thing: I believe this is not an issue caused by upgrading from 2.2.0
to 2.2.1.  Rather, 2.2.1 happened to be installed on the fateful day this
other bug reared it's head.

After chatting this over with a few devs (thanks Vincent, Martin and Max :)
), we've reached some consensus that the issue I saw was likely caused by
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/522637, due to the fact the devs have
been running a mixture of 2.1.1, 2.1.2 and 2.2.0 with a smart server of
2.1.1.

In our case, the clean-up plan is

   1. delete all local repositories
   2. repair the master network repository using the bzr reconcile
   --canonicalize-chks AFFECTED_REPO command
   3. Update the network repository to 2.2.1
   4. Update all clients to use bzr 2.2.1
   5. Profit?

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the bzr metadata in svn doesn't
cause to many hassles with this setup... worst case scenario is I end up
being stranded in svn-land again.

--
Philip Peitsch
Mob: 0439 810 260