bzr-colo: wow

Scott Aubrey scottaubrey at capuk.org
Mon Sep 27 15:12:38 BST 2010

On 27 Sep 2010, at 14:46, Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:

> On 2010-09-27 08:01 , Russ Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Martin Pool<mbp at canonical.com>  wrote:
>>> I've just started using bzr-colo
>>> <http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/plugins/en/colo-plugin.html>  for all
>>> my work, and I have to say it's really very slick.  If you haven't
>>> tried it I recommend you do.
>>>

>> Does is handle co-located bound branches (or checkouts) better yet[1]?
>> If it does, it may become my default workflow...
>>
>> Or maybe I should just not be so lazy and try it again myself. :)
>>
>> [1] http://old.nabble.com/-ANN--bzr-colo-0.0.1:-colocated-branches-using-present-technology-to27105538.html#a27118859
>
> In fact, since bzr-colo is just convenient sugar on top of existing Bazaar facilities, this can be made to work.  Some of this exploits the (very deep?) differences between lightweight checkouts and bound branches.
>
> Please file enhancement requests against bzr-colo on launchpad with suggestions for making this workflow easier.  Note that there is already an existing request for pulling a single colocated workspace from an entire shared repository on the server.  This would be a natural place to then add a "--bind" option to create a workspace where all of the local branches are bound to their remote counterparts.
>
> -Neil

Also to add:

I use a combination of bound and non bound branches in a colo workspace. I've found zero issues when I use switch in combination with colo: e.g.

> bzr colo-fetch bzr+ssh://server/proj

> cd proj

> bzr colo-branches
* origin/trunk

> bzr info
Lightweight checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
  light checkout root: .
   checkout of branch: .bzr/branches/origin/trunk
    shared repository: .bzr/branches

Related branches:
  parent branch: bzr+ssh://server/proj/

> bzr bind :parent

> bzr info
Lightweight checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
       light checkout root: .
  repository checkout root: .bzr/branches/origin/trunk
        checkout of branch: bzr+ssh://server/proj/
         shared repository: .bzr/branches

Related branches:
  parent branch: bzr+ssh://server/proj/

> bzr switch -b colo:test-branch (also works as bzr colo-branch test-branch)
Tree is up to date at revision 607.
Switched to branch: /Users/scottaubrey/tmp/proj/.bzr/branches/test-branch/

> bzr switch colo:origin/trunk
Tree is up to date at revision 607.
Switched to branch: /Users/scottaubrey/tmp/proj/.bzr/branches/origin/trunk/

> bzr colo-branches
* origin/trunk
  test-branch

> bzr plugins | grep colo
colo 0.2.0dev
   Work with colocated branches using current technology.

> bzr version
Bazaar (bzr) 2.3.0dev1
[snip]

despite me using (old) trunk versions, it's work like this for a while now.

- Scott