help getting a clue about tracking changes in an integrated library

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Tue Sep 21 21:45:10 BST 2010

Hi, I have a use case that I'm pretty sure bzr will be able to waltz
through, but I'm not very experienced with dvcs, so I want to make sure
I do it right.

I have a library that I'm using that has public source releases.  I want
to use a friend's version of this library, where he's made changes to
the public releases.  When a new version of the public library comes
out, I want to use the Power of DVCS(tm) to be able to have a chance at
merging the update with the changes.  How should I set this up?

One other wrinkle, my current project is a monolithic (mostly) single
timeline repository because it was converted from SVN, so it's > 1k
revisions.  I'd like the new library to get put in this repository
somehow so I can sync everything at once.

Does that make sense at all?

In other words:

- lib-1.0 is the released version on the internets.
- my friend has modified lib-1.0, so it's kind of a branch of lib-1.0
- when lib-1.1 comes out, I'd like to be able to get those fixes
- I want lib to be checked into my main source tree, not some other
directory I have to sync

Hopefully that's clear.

Thanks,
Chris