Merge algorithms

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Sep 18 18:03:55 BST 2010

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
> Cc: john at arbash-meinel.com,
>     mbp at canonical.com,
>     bazaar at lists.canonical.com
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:30:13 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
>  > > Cc: john at arbash-meinel.com,
>  > >     mbp at canonical.com,
>  > >     bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>  > > Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:36:12 +0900
>  > >
>  > > Eli Zaretskii writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > No, there will be no corruption, because when I merge from
>  > >  > mainline, I need to edit the logs anyway.
>  > > Eli, it's not about *you* Eli, it's about you Emacs developers,
>  > > some of whom are are far less careful than you Eli are.
>  >
>  > When I say "I" above, I don't mean Eli, either.
>
> Ah, but do you mean the guy who has already twice managed to push his
> personal libraries and local changes into the public mainstream?

Yes, him too.  Being able to edit a ChangeLog has nothing to do with
bzr proficiency.

> Linear ChangeLogs in a DVCS world are an anachronism.

Then why are you arguing about them at such length?  And why does git
have the merge-changelog tool?  Evidently, not every project out there
is going to drop ChangeLogs quite so soon.  Until we do, I'd like to
avoid the nuisance of trivial editing each time I merge from my
branches to mainline.