Q: authentication.conf not using 'user' attribute?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 18:40:23 BST 2010

Ok, I'm stuck.  Either I am doing something wrong or (more likely) I have
incorrect expectations.

I am able to bzr+ssh by providing the username:password explicitly on the
bzr command line.

If I leave out the username:password, bzr apparently tries and fails to use
the same username and password set in authentication.conf -- I get
Authentication (publickey) failed and fallback to password authentication
(which of course assumes the username on the client machine, not the
username on the server machine, and theresore fails anyway).

bzr on the 'client' side is using paramiko.  I have verified that.

bzr on the 'server' side is probably not using paramiko because BZR_SSH is
not set in the .bashrc for the 'shared' account I set up.   Does that
matter?

The error message seems to suggest that a key is missing.  But of course I
can ssh user at server and I can bzr branch
bzr+ssh://user:secret@server/path/to/project
with no problems.

I collected logfiles, but I suspect I'm missing something basic.  I'm happy
to RTFM if I know what I'm looking for.  It's been a long week and maybe I'm
just being dense today.

Thanks
~M