"what's new" document

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 18 08:26:51 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> Also, I think we should clarify how we handle NEWS across series.  My
> proposal is:
>
>  * a separate news file per series
>  * don't copy bugs between series when they merge up; just say in the
> header which previous-series releases were merged in.

Two thoughts here.
Firstly, this is harder on users. They have to chase points - a change
in 2.3 which started in 2.0 will require three additional lookups -
assuming only one point release at each point.

Secondly its harder for bzr devs when multiple series are involved,
because the automation involved in automatically closing bug tasks
seems to be likely to be more complex to me.

Of course, I'm not doing this process myself, so - 'blue please'.
(Which is to say, if you'd already considered those points, great, I'm
not intending to bikeshed; I only comment because you provided no
rationale and I couldn't tell if you'd considered them or not).

-Rob