"bzr status" in a lightweight checkout

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Aug 11 02:21:51 BST 2010

On 11 August 2010 04:58, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Eric Siegerman writes:
>
>  > [svn status not checking for up-to-date against upstream] seems to
>  > me a huge misfeature of Subversion -- maybe because I only used svn
>  > for a few months, not long enough for it to warp my brain.
>
> It's a feature if you're using a low bandwidth high latency server in
> combination with a front end that polls for status frequently, though,
> which is what this thread is about.
>
> To be honest, I've never missed a check for changes upstream.  I don't
> think in 15 years of CVS usage I can recall more than one or two cases
> where I wanted to know where upstream was, but *not* update my local
> workspace.  With a DVCS, I *really* can't imagine wanting a check
> against upstream unless I explicitly ask for it.  IMO YMMV of course,
> but as long as people are expressing opinions, that one's mine.  (I
> have no objection if people want to share it; help yourselves! :-)

It's not precisely a check for changes upstream.  (Well, depending on
precisely how one defines 'upstream'.)  It's a check for the working
tree being out of date with its branch, which may be be 'upstream' if
you're in a checkout of trunk, or might be just your own branch.  I'm
not sure if you can create that situation in git.

I'm not sure that needs to be shown by default by status, as long as
you can get it somehow.

--
Martin