"bzr status" in a lightweight checkout

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 10 19:58:29 BST 2010

Eric Siegerman writes:

 > [svn status not checking for up-to-date against upstream] seems to
 > me a huge misfeature of Subversion -- maybe because I only used svn
 > for a few months, not long enough for it to warp my brain.

It's a feature if you're using a low bandwidth high latency server in
combination with a front end that polls for status frequently, though,
which is what this thread is about.

To be honest, I've never missed a check for changes upstream.  I don't
think in 15 years of CVS usage I can recall more than one or two cases
where I wanted to know where upstream was, but *not* update my local
workspace.  With a DVCS, I *really* can't imagine wanting a check
against upstream unless I explicitly ask for it.  IMO YMMV of course,
but as long as people are expressing opinions, that one's mine.  (I
have no objection if people want to share it; help yourselves! :-)