"bzr status" in a lightweight checkout

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Mon Aug 9 18:10:17 BST 2010

In a lightweight checkout, is "bzr status" supposed to access the
remote repository?  Or do lightweight checkouts have enough
information locally to provide the status?

I'm asking because someone complained on the Emacs development list
that their modem LED indicates traffic when they bootstrap Emacs.
Bootstrapping should not (AFAIK) do any bzr ops except "bzr status"
when they visit or save files in a versioned directory.

If it turns out that "bzr status" needs to access the repository in
this case, we should probably fix Emacs to use some other technique to
report status of versioned files, or maybe not at all, because
accessing the network every time the user does an entirely local file
operation is not nice, to say the least.

TIA