External merge tool support (WIP)

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Thu Aug 5 05:22:17 BST 2010

Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> writes:

> On 5 August 2010 10:44, Gordon Tyler <gordon.tyler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If the merge tool terminates with an exit code of 0, the file is
> > marked as resolved as 'bzr resolve <file>' would.
[…]

> To me it seems the main test should be whether the conflict markers
> have been removed.

What about files that are in conflict but don't have conflict markers?
Or is that set empty? I'm thinking of binary files.

Gordon Tyler <gordon.tyler at gmail.com> writes:

> On 8/4/2010 9:19 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > On the second hand, ‘bzr resolve’ already has an established
> > meaning: to tell Bazaar that the change *is now* resolved, with no
> > further changes needed. Your option muddies that meaning, by a
> > conflicting meaning of *making new changes*. I think that change in
> > meaning is not something to do lightly, and we should not allow it
> > without a compelling reason.
>
> Bear in mind that 'bzr resolve' has other options which cause the
> conflict to be resolved by taking either THIS or OTHER.

That's a compelling reason :-) I wasn't aware that the ‘resolve’ command
already did work to resolve the conflict.

On that basis I retract my objection to moving this functionality to
‘bzr resolve --using PROGNAME’.

--
 \      “The process by which banks create money is so simple that the |
  `\     mind is repelled.” —John Kenneth Galbraith, _Money: Whence It |