External merge tool support (WIP)

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 4 09:31:21 BST 2010

Gordon Tyler <gordon.tyler at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been (slowly) working on better external merge tool support in
> bzr and qbzr.

Thank you very much for moving this forward.

> I've reached a point where external merge tools can be configured
> through 'bzr qconfig' and then invoked through 'bzr merge --tool'
> (merges and then invokes merge tool for each file that has conflicts),

For consistency with ‘bzr diff --using FOO’, would that be better
spelled ‘bzr merge --using FOO’?

One possible reason: it might be confusing if it suggests “using merge
algorithm FOO”.

What do others think?

> 'bzr mergetool' (post-merge, invokes merge tool for each file in the
> working tree that has conflicts)

Would this not be better done in the ‘bzr diff’ code? That's what I use
now, and it allows me to ‘bzr diff --using FOO’ and perform alterations
with the program FOO.

--
 \             “To label any subject unsuitable for comedy is to admit |
  `\                                           defeat.” —Peter Sellers |