Strange estimated progress bar

Parth Malwankar parth.malwankar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 03:56:56 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:04 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> I just saw this while grabbing some mysql code:
>  -  36348kB   328kB/s | Fetching revisions:Inserting stream:Estimate
> 18516/2654
>

> Note that it wasn't wrapping in my terminal, but somehow the current
> position was significantly higher than the estimate. The estimate *was*
> going up, but not as fast as the actual. Later:
>
>  |  52120kB   133kB/s | Fetching revisions:Inserting stream:Estimate
> 30031/4299
>

> Did something get messed up in the estimation code? Is it swapping the
> current and max values?

Thats weird.
The logic seems to be ok. It won't allow the max to exceed the count.
And the usage of pb.update seems ok too.

    def increment(self, count):
        self.current += count
        if self.current > self.max:
            self.max += self.key_count

repofmt/groupcompress_repo.py:
pb.update('Estimate', rc.current, rc.max)
smart/repository.py:                        pb.update('Estimate',
rc.current, rc.max)

I will try to get the mysql branch and see if I can get why this might be
happening.

Regards,
Parth