bzr ppa updates

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Jul 5 06:35:41 BST 2010

On 5 July 2010 15:09, Robert Collins <robert.collins at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 3 July 2010 04:47, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>>> Nevertheless we could produce bzr-2.0 bzr-2.1 bzr-2.2 packages that
>>> all provide and conflict with bzr; then users could choose.
>>
>> I wasn't talking about producing separate bzr-2.1 packages (though
>> that might be interesting), but rather having separate ppas.  The
>> ~bzr/2.0 ppa would contain bzr=2.0.x plus plugins that work with it.
>>
>> I think as a once-per-six months thing, before we overwrite the 2.1
>> packages currently in stable with 2.2 packages, we might as well copy
>> them to a new ~bzr/2.1 ppa.
>
> yes - I was saying that its harder for people to know when to switch
> to a new PPA url than to see a new package in synaptic.

I was going to say that in this model, people would choose ahead of
time to use either bzr stable or bzr beta or bzr 2.1 and then would
stick with that until they actually want to change.  I agree that it
is a bit easier to change through installing a new package than by
using a different ppa.

But now I think about it you may be on to something in having just one
PPA for everything, with package names that include the version:
bzr2.2-2.2~beta4, loggerhead1.17-...

We also need to keep consistent sets of plugins around.  It's possible
we could have eg loggerhead1.17, loggerhead1.18, etc each depending on
the different version of bzrlib that they can work with.

So to get there we would have to make a virtual bzr package that
depends on bzr2.1 or whatever, and we would have to explicitly number
not just bzr itself but also all plugins except those we expect will
work with all packaged versions of bzr.  It would be good to stay in
sync with Debian and Ubuntu: I don't think they would have a strong
inherent reason to follow this because they probably only want to ship
one version of bzr, but perhaps they would go along with it.

--
Martin