Python 3

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Jul 2 08:15:17 BST 2010

Martin,

> I'm delighted to take patches that make things work more cleanly with
> -3 warnings or through 2to3 or directly on 3, as long as they don't
> break 2.4 or make the code excessively ugly.  Conversely if someone
> feels they want to develop a parallel branch that does work on 3 that
> might be an interesting experiment.

From the unmetricated stories from the field section, i.e. anecdotal
evidence to be treated as such.

SCons, like Bazaar, is sticking with 2.4 as a floor for the short- to
medium- term. So there is a consistency of approach amongst Python-based
frameworks that worry about how far back to go.

Waf 1.5.x requires Python 2.4 -> 2.6 to create the project specific
build code, but that generated code runs with any of Pythons 2.3 -> 3.1.
Thomas Nagy has written a document about plans for Waf 1.6.x and from
that document:

        Python 3 is now the default syntax. Waf now runs unmodified for
        2.6, 2.7, 3.0 and 3.1. Upon execution, a detection is performed
        and the code is then converted for python 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 if
        necessary. It is far easier to modify Python3 code to run on
        Python2 than porting Python 2 code to Python 3.

Which seems to show there is a consistency of approach tot he Python 2 /
Python 3 issue across the board.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk