bzr-svn svn-import and history across svn "renames"

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Jun 30 18:18:39 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 12:07 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Chris Hecker wrote:
> >> Rename inference would have severe performance consequences,
> >> primarily because bzr-svn supports more than just one-time imports.
> >
> > Sure, it just seems like giving the user the option even if it's slower
> > is better than no option that doesn't lose information.
> The problem for bzr-svn is that it uses deterministic revision ids
> (which is how it is able to interoperate with svn across multiple
> clients). However as soon as one of us uses a different flag to convert
> the repository, our repos are actually incompatible. Even worse if you
> keep deterministic revids then you have potential corruption (because I
> say I have revision 'foo' and so do you, but they point to different data.)
>
> You can have the flags as part of the revision-id, but that also forces
> 2 people to no longer interoperate. (Not to mention what happens when
> you push that back into svn...)
Yeah, that's exactly my worry. We *could* do this, but how many flags
would we need to support? There is a wishlist bug open about "bzr
svn-import" supporting non-deterministic conversions, and those could
have more options but I don't think we should support something like
this for "normal" operation in bzr-svn.

Cheers,

Jelmer