Trouble with Launchpad...

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 23:38:06 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com>wrote:

> John Szakmeister wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM, John Arbash Meinel
> > <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> I count 6060 changes to NEWS, and it is a 473kB file. Digging a bit, it
> >> accounts for 6.2MB of compressed content, and 1.37GB of uncompressed
> >> content.
> >
> > *gasp*  What hope do I have on my projects then? :-(
>
> I can't say that it is particularly common to have a single file larger
> than 400k changed more than 6k times in the history of a project. But I
> suppose if you versioned the build output (and then went to annotate
> that output...)

Um... If this is what's happening, we may run into it here.  We have several
build artifacts which are versioned for traceability by order of our
corporate QA czarina.  Granted, nothing says that traceability must be
achieved through bzr, but it is very convenient compared with coming up with
another version-control policy.  Our biggest versioned artifact is about
250KB.  I doubt it will ever grow to 500K, so that would be a safe upper
limit for us.  Rough calculation:

two automated builds per day * 200 workdays days per year = 400 revisions
per year

One of our products has been in continuous development for 10+ years (not in
bzr obviously)

So 4000 revisions of a 250KB file is very plausible.  Granted, I hope to be
retired by then.

~M