bzr-explorer performance question

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:48:12 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Maritza Mendez <martitzam at gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> I was able to repeat this experiment on without the access errors.  (I do
> not knwo why I was getting access errors yesterday -- especially logged in
> as root -- but that may be unrelated.)
>
> bzr co --lightweight ./trunk ./co
> cd co
> bzr status  # takes 33.5 seconds
> bzr status  # takes 0.8 second
> bzr status  # takes 0.8 second
>
> So, yes, it does appear that the first 'bzr stat' after a checkout takes
> longer than subsequent runs -- but noweher near the 4.5 minutes that
> bzr-explorer took.

Since the original experiment with bzr-explorer was done on a full-fledged
branch, and you asked me to do an experiment on a lightweight checkout, I
decided to try the same thing in bzr-explorer.  The command bzr-explorer ran
was

Run command: bzr checkout --lightweight {PATH_TO_SHARED_REPO}/trunk
{PATH_TO_SHARED_REPO}/co2

which took a couple minutes.  Then it was an extra 32 seconds to update the
status window after I pressed "refresh".  (Note that I have automatic
refresh turned off, so that I control when it happens and I can time it.)
Then, pushing Refresh again and again updates in less than a second each
time.  This is at least consistent with what we saw on the command-line

I understand in principle what you're speculating about fstat and lstat,
although I don't know the particulars.  What I do know is that be-explorer
1.0.1 uses the python 2.5.4 interpreter.  I'm not saying that's the problem,
of course.

I have one more experiment to do.  I need to start from scratch, following
the process I originally reported, but this time using the command line
instead of bzr explorer.  If the first bzr stat after a massive bzr add is
again much slower than subsequent bzr stat commands, then I think we are on
to something which Ineed to log as a bug and hand over to you core devs for
serious analysis.  Coming up next.

~M