Python 3

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Jun 23 03:43:54 BST 2010

On 23 June 2010 12:15, Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com> wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]
>> I think that ideally, in a year or so we'd be in a position to make a
>> concerted push to make 3 a first class citizen (because 3 is getting
>> considerable upstream and in-distribution attention).
>
> To be honest, I'd be inclined to wait.  I don't see much benefit to us
> pushing towards Python 3 support at the moment, and conversely I don't
> think it'll be any harder to start doing that later — in fact it may get
> easier as tools like 2to3 (or 3to2) improve, and it gets easier for us
> to consider dropping Python 2.4, etc.

I don't see any rush to make 3 the default platform.  I see some
benefit in testing on 3 so that we get earlier warning of any issues
and just because good testing across more environments can make some
hidden bugs easier to fix.  I like the idea of gradually getting the
test suite to pass on 2to3 by making only clean changes to the main
trunk because it will not hurt people not using py3.

--
Martin