Switch from SVN to xxx ?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jun 4 16:33:46 BST 2010

> Please note that Mercurial tracks renames just like Bazaar and
> Subversion -- you tell Mercurial about it and make your commit.

One thing that I haven't checked is if Mercurial tracks directory
renames properly.  I.e. if you rename directory `foo' to `bar' in one
branch, and add a file `foo/toto' in another branch, and then merge
those two branches, will the new file appear correctly in `bar/toto'?

>> * Many different remote repository options, including HTTP and SFTP for
>> publishing without any requirement for Bazaar on the server.
> I think you should mention that the Emacs developers have found this to
> be quite inefficient.

It's good enough that we've been using it for several months now, but
we've eagerly waiting for the server to be updated so we can use bzr+ssh
instead, yes.
So at least for a project with as large a code base (and especially as
large a history) as Emacs, you might prefer something like Git.

BTW, I recommend you just try it out: use bzr-svn to access your
existing Subversion repository, so you can get a feeling for what it
would be like, without affecting anyone else.   Nowadays, it's my
favorite way to access Subversion repositories.

        Stefan