Apologies

Martin Geisler mg at aragost.com
Fri Jun 4 12:04:23 BST 2010

Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> writes:

> Ben,
>
> On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 20:13 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> I think it's unfortunate that the discussion was blocked between the
>> two forums. It seemed that there were a number of misconceptions on
>> both sides about the other VCS tool, that can only really be
>> addressed when such a cross-project discussion occurs.
>>
>> In the absence of that, the tendency is for such misconceptions to go
>> unexamined because there is no incentive to expose them. I know I
>> would not likely have learned what I did about the current state of
>> Mercurial without that discussion.
>>
>> That said, I'm not an administrator of either forum, and I respect
>> the authority of those who must do the work of administration.
>
> Likewise I agree it is the administrators privilege to run the lists
> as they choose, but I also agree wholeheartedly that there is too much
> warfare between the Git, Mercurial and Bazaar communities and not
> enough communication, let alone collaboration.

Exactly, and there has been collaboration in the past. I was not present
at the meeting, but in 2006 the Mercurial and Bazaar developers met in
London:

  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/SpiderGoat

Apparently it was agreed that it would be a good idea to merge the two
projects, but this was not to be because of copyright disagreements:

  http://markmail.org/message/qzb42tjpln7inl6d

I think it's a shame this opportunity was wasted and we now have two
major Python-based DVCSs.

--
Martin Geisler