Switch from SVN to xxx ?

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jun 3 14:15:45 BST 2010

Nicolas Pinault <nicolasp at aaton.com> writes:

> But VSS is a nightmare. So, after years, I switched most projects to
> Subversion. SVN is incredibly better than VSS.

No argument here. VSS is an abominable introduction to version control
systems; it gives none of the advantages, and all of the disadvantages.
I'm sure many people are wary of using *any* VCS after using VSS as
their first exposure to the concepts.

> I like SVN. I find it easy to understand its way of working (even if
> is this not the case of some of my colleagues). I find it fast and
> reliable.

It's important to note, that, if it works well for you, Subversion is a
fine tool. There are many advantages to a modern VCS, but Subversion is
mature and actively developed and improved, with plenty of support.

> I read many things about distributed versionning systems for years
> now. I have spent many hours reading articles and comparisons between
> DSCM. It is hard to get a conclusion because most articles are
> outdated. Especially since Bazaar 2.x.

That's welcome news! For a long time, Bazaar's reputation was based on
very old versions and articles that simply don't apply any more. I'm
glad to know that the available information has helped you reached that
conclusion.

> So, Bazaar or Mercurial.
> I have 2 problems :
> - I still wonder what kind of benefice I can expect if I switch to
> Bazaar or Mercurial.

A core benefit I would point out is not so much *that* these modern
systems are distributed, but a consequence of that: merging works well,
because it is essential in a distributed workflow.

Since merging works, branching stops being a fearful and momentous
event, and instead becomes an operation that can be done casually and
whenever it would be useful. You are much more free to have experimental
or parallel lines of development, knowing that revision data can freely
move between them when you need it.

That benefit leads to much more flexible workflows and better control
over changes, in many ways.

> - If I switch to one of them, which one ?

Bazaar gets several things right IMO. Rather than repeat them here, try
<URL:http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html>
if you haven't already.

In my experience the main advantages of Bazaar over the competition are:

* Direct tracking of rename, instead of figuring it out each time from
  secondary data and occasionally getting it wrong.
  <URL:http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/123>

* The best merging support of any I've tried, partly as a result of the
  rich metadata that gets stored. (Bazaar's logo is well chosen, IMO.)

* A rigorously consistent UI. Internal consistency of the UI (the
  commands, options, and concepts; the “verbs and nouns” of the
  interface) is the ongoing result of many years of careful UI design,
  with a clear drive toward resolving any remaining inconsistencies.

* Many different remote repository options, including HTTP and SFTP for
  publishing without any requirement for Bazaar on the server.
  Alternatively, where installing Bazaar on the server is an option, the
  client can take advantage of a fast custom network protocol.

  See the topic help at ‘bzr help urlspec’ or in the online reference at
  <URL:http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-reference/urlspec-help.html>.

* You may also like the fact that Bazaar can (via plug-ins) use existing
  repositories of foreign VCSen, with especially good Subversion support
  <URL:http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/foreign/bzr-on-svn-projects.html>.

In your particular instance, I'll point out what I consider a killer
feature:

* The ability to treat any repository as a central repository from which
  you can make local working copies, and switch to or from that mode
  <URL:http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/bazaar_workflows.html#centralized>
  when it suits you. This lets you work like Subversion when it makes
  sense, and use distributed workflows any time when *that* makes sense.

> I think the best is to ask to real users. Especially the ones who
> switched from SVN to Bazaar or Mercurial. Any advice, comment... is
> welcome.

I hope that helps. I certainly hope you'll choose Bazaar, since it seems
to me that it is the best fit for what you describe. But it's very
promising that you're carefully researching the options, and I wish you
good fortune with whichever you choose.

--
 \       “The Stones, I love the Stones; I can't believe they're still |
  `\      doing it after all these years. I watch them whenever I can: |