Confused about stability of revno's

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:42:44 BST 2010

On 26/05/2010 3:25 PM, Stefan Haller wrote:
> Harald Meland<harald.meland at usit.uio.no>  wrote:
>> For Bob to push his change in such a setup, he would then need to
>> merge his own branch into (a copy of) the master branch (and then push
>> the copy to master).
>
> Doesn't this mean that every developer must keep two branches around for
> every branch they are working on?  One that serves as a copy of the
> central branch so that it can be merged into, and the other where the
> real work happens?  Sounds awkward to me.

This is where checkouts can be quite handy.

Bob would do:

bzr branch --no-tree master Bob
bzr checkout Bob workingDir
cd workingDir
... hack hack hack ...
bzr commit -m "Bob's first commit to the Bob branch"
bzr switch master
bzr merge Bob
bzr commit -m "Bob's first commit to master"
bzr switch Bob
... hack hack (Alice commits something to master) hack ...
bzr commit -m "Bob's second commit to the Bob branch"
bzr switch master
bzr merge Bob
bzr commit -m "Bob's changes merged with Alice's changes"