Cannot push to a LP project

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Fri May 21 15:20:35 BST 2010

On 20/05/2010 18:17, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Your local repository in 2a format, while branch on LP is in poor-root
> format. You stuck.

At least I don't suck... :P (I hope)

> Check the format of lp branch:
>
> bzr info -v http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk

Did that, shown the result in my original message, got "branch: Remote: Branch format 6"
and "repository: Remote: Packs containing knits without subtree support" which isn't very
helpful...

> It's just pack-0.92.

Thanks! I note (after the fact...) that the Launchpad page is more explicit:
"Bazaar pack repository format 1 (needs bzr 0.92)"
Would be nice if bzr command provided such info.

> Create new shared repo on local computer:
>
> bzr init-repo --pack-0.92 new-place
>
> Get the trunk again into new-place.
>
> Then the most boring part: do just diff of your changes and apply
> them to your new branch in pack-0.92 format with `bzr patch` command
> (you need GNU patch utility), e.g.:
>
> cd philho-2a
> bzr diff -c-1 > my-changes.diff
> cd philho-0.92
> bzr patch my-changes.diff

Just did that and I could successfully push my changes!
Many thanks for this easy to follow recipe, which is just what I was looking for.

Now, I am just a Boeotian, suspecting that's a complex problem, but it could be nice if
Bazaar provided a way to force to push changes from a new repository to an old one (or
rich to poor), with lot of warnings that we will loose information, but allowing to
proceed anyway. Without going with the above workaround, which isn't that hard to do, but
not super intuitive (particularly the diff/patch pair) and needing extra steps/disk
space/bandwidth.

On 21/05/2010 03:18, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
 > Marius Gedminas wrote:
 >> You can fix that with 'bzr upgrade lp:nimrod' (slow) or through the
 >> Launchpad web pages (faster, but I've no clue how).
 >
 > There should be a upgrade this branch link on
 > <https://code.launchpad.net/~nimrod-devs/nimrod/trunk>  for any user that
 > is in the ~nimrod-devs team.

Indeed, I saw one, but as I wrote, I didn't dare to do it without first checking with the
owner! Wouldn't be nice to lock him out of his own project... :-)
I ask him, to avoid further annoyances for next changes...

Thanks to all those who answered, it was useful.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France