bzr-rewrite

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu May 20 18:44:59 BST 2010

Hi Rob,

After discussing rebase with you at UDS, I think I've now got a better
idea of my own problems with rebase at the moment as well as the ones
you've raised.

I'd like to introduce a new command that can do arbitrary revision
rewriting but doesn't have a default for determining what revisions to
rewrite. Rather, it would take arguments to specify what revisions to
rewrite - either -r/-c or some argument to find the revisions missing
from another branch (similar to rebase' default). "rewrite" seems the
most appropriate name for such a command.

The reason I'd like to give this command a different name from rebase is
that it can be used for operations that don't change the base of the
revisions you're changing and to avoid confusion for existing users of
rebase or users of git-rebase. I'm happy to see the rebase command
hidden or not being the recommended way to do things.

Would that address your concerns ?

Cheers,

Jelmer