Bazaar dirstate locking (was: lock_* API change)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon May 17 04:22:29 BST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii >> So, when doing any
sort of commit, bzr prepares the entire commit
>> *before* looking for a commit message.
>
> Can that be changed, please?

I don't think it makes sense to change it, for a few reasons.

Firstly, it won't help your use case: we'd still have the lock across
the period where you type in the commit message, so that what you're
committing is what the commit templates etc have open.

Secondly, it would add a huge race condition to the commit template feature.

Lastly we used to have it the other way around, and changed it because
prompting the user for the commit message when there are still things
that might cause errors outstanding gives a very annoying workflow.
Doing pre-flight checks, getting a commit message, and then repeating
all the checks again would add back that pain that simply cannot
happen at the moment.

-Rob