Bazaar dirstate locking (was: lock_* API change)

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Mon May 17 04:15:08 BST 2010

>  > >  > >  > When I commit to a local branch, it is indeed much faster, but
>  > >  > >  > still far from microseconds, even if I don't take my time
>  > >  > >  > editing the commit message.
>  > >
>  > > I don't understand why bzr is involved at all when you are editing the
>  > > commit message
>  >
>  > Because I invoke "bzr commit" from outside Emacs, and edit the message
>  > when it pops via emacsclient.
>
> That's your choice; there are alternative workflows that would work
> better with respect to dirstate locking in current editions of bzr.  I
> pointed out one, but there are many.

Doing the commit from Emacs is even worse: it locks up _Emacs_ for the
entire commit, which for me takes 4 to 5 minutes on the average.  I
can maybe live with "bzr status" throwing an error if I visit a
versioned file while the commit runs, but I cannot live with having to
do nothing for 5 minutes each time I commit, because when I have a few
hours to work on Emacs, I normally commit every hour or so, when I'm
done working on some feature or fixed some bug.

What other alternatives are there ("many" you say), apart from editing
the commit message in advance and running Bazaar outside Emacs?