Bazaar dirstate locking

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Sat May 15 14:02:44 BST 2010

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Bazaar is a *distributed* VCS. It is a database designed for
> concurrent operation, with database operations conducted locally on
> ACID, then propagated as completed transactions to other nodes of the
> database. If you insist on operating on incomplete transactions across
> the net, you're going to pay for the privilege.

A wrinkle in this analogy is bound branches. As I understand it, a
modification on a bound branch causes the VCS data to be written to the
*remote* repository first, and only on success is the same write done
locally.

I don't know how that fits with the model you espouse above, or whether
you consider the local and remote branches to be separate nodes.

--
 \      “If we have to give up either religion or education, we should |
  `\              give up education.” —William Jennings Bryan, 1923-01 |