Are squashed commits and discarded branches possible in bzr?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed May 12 17:40:13 BST 2010

>> usually the containing workspace as well).  This saves a lot more
>> space in Bazaar than it does in git<wink>, but functionally, it's
[...]
> Really.  If I delete my bzr.dev branch (a branch in a shared repo)
> then I'd remove 5KB of content (28KB of used disk).  I don't know that
> I'd consider 28KB of disk 'a lot' even if git used only a single byte
> - I'd have to discard a lot of branches before I cared about that.

Git uses a few bytes, indeed (IIUC it's just a single file containing
the sha1 of the revision referred).  Bzr instead uses several files
inside a couple of directories, and this includes extra data such
a branch.conf and a copy of the tags (in Emacs's case the tags amount
to about 70KB nowadays).
So while it may not be humongous, it's clearly "a lot more" (like 1000
times more for Emacs branches).

> Perhaps you're assuming that the branch has a working-tree :-)

I don't think that's what he meant.

        Stefan