Access controls...

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Tue May 4 19:26:30 BST 2010

Catching up on email between flights...

Bzr is billed as "adaptive" and my experience using bzr in a
commercial environment required me to adapt to bzr a little more than
I hoped.

Like it or not access control is a big deal in the enterprise.  There
are modules related to product licensing or "secret sause" that
executives demand restricted access.  Sometimes they are silly.  But
they write the paychecks.  This poses a challenge for any system which
does not use a server protocol and most dvcs in general.  My solution
has been to design repos around security requirements and then set up
ntfs permissions accordingly.  This wastes some disk but it works and
I can tell my boss that the secret stuff is locked up safe.

Anything which makes flexible access controls easy to set up *and*
easy to verify will facilitate enterprise adoption of bzr.

~M