Loggerhead setting 'Cache-Control' header for static fields

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Sat May 1 04:12:25 BST 2010

On 1 May 2010 11:47, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> That seems fine; btw there is a much better http reference these days:
> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/
>
> Many unclear/ambiguous regions of the standard have been clarified and fixed.
>
> The squid in the DC is acting as a front-end server: its allowed to
> pretend to be the backend; so we can have loggerhead offer year-long
> caching to squid, and tell squid to only offer 1 day or whatever to
> clients. Broadly though:
>  -- if the content will change /meaning/ cache with care
>  -- if the content won't change at all - cache aggressively.

According to the losas there is not actually a squid in front of the
launchpad deployment of loggerhead at this time.

We should test it, but to me it seems reasonable to cache static
things for a day or more, and to cache all generated pages for at
least a few minutes. We'd just need to check that if the user
refreshes the page that does cause it to be revalidated.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>