Queries about bzr-svn behaviour

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:06:45 BST 2010

Jelmer,

Some observations and queries.  The context is a Bazaar branch stored in
a shared repository bound to a directory in a Subversion repository.

Every time I perform an operation that requires access to the Subversion
repository, bzr-svn undertakes two rounds of "analyzing repository
layout".  On each occasion it studies 300 of however many revisions
there are in the Subversion repository.  At first the console display
looks like:

|      8kB     5kB/s | analyzing repository layout 24/19904

after about 100 revisions it swaps to looking like:

| analyzing repository layout 256/19904

The difference is not just the missing information about bandwidth, the
latter also has a large number of spaces after the revision count.  Once
all 300 revisions have been checked, the display reverts to:

|      8kB     5kB/s | analyzing repository layout 300/19904

with no trailing spaces.  Then it does it all again.

All this checking takes quite a while, is it always needed to be done
twice?

And why the change of presentation of information?

Of course, these are niggles, everything is actually working correctly
-- which is really great :-)

Thanks.

--
Russel.