Nested tree support [was Bzr externals for bzr and bzr-svn]

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Apr 14 03:21:41 BST 2010

On 14 April 2010 11:13, Patrick van der Velde
<petrikvandervelde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Thanks everybody for the answers to my questions. I can see that there
> are many different view points on this subject and I understand both
> sides of the story. Currently at work I'm blocked from using bzr
> because it doesn't play well with SVN externals, however I am able to
> use bzr quite well in my personal projects :)
>
> Given that the lack of nested trees seems to be a blocker for quite a
> few features (snv-externals integration, multi-level projects etc.)
> can somebody shed some light on why there is no development on this
> feature? Is the spec incomplete, is it blocked by other features, not
> enough people to work on it .... etc. I think it would be nice to know
> why nested trees isn't moving on.

People are working on other things.  When we previously tried to
integrate Aaron's work on it I had some concerns about possible
fallout from it (bugs, performance) because it took a fairly big-bang
approach, and I didn't want to just take it in unless there was going
to be enough momentum to look after it.
--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>