version-info --include-history UnicodeDecodeError (518609)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 9 09:41:03 BST 2010

Robert Collins writes:

 > I think you have the wrong end of the stick. The *target* language
 > gets to choose. RIO is a target language,

Well, sure.  Output usually is in a target language.  I just used the
same word for the target document, "source", that bzr help does.

 > the same as python would be. bzr is outputting RIO from the command
 > because the user chose to have RIO output.

But the *user* *did not* choose it herself; the bzr devs did.  It's
the default!

And RIO is called "simple text" in the bzr help for version-info.  If
you call it "text", IMHO the user has a right to expect that output
(especially console output) will respect the locale settings.  IMHO
there is no excuse for blaming the user for being surprised at
receiving binary spew.  I also think it is not unreasonable for this
command to default to writing to the console.

I don't know what the right thing to do is, but there's definitely a
documentation problem as it stands.