BZR update (filename) accidentally destroyed my project

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Thu Apr 8 08:30:48 BST 2010

Harry Flink wrote:
[...]
> Yesterday during compile testing the changed
> parts I wanted to revert one file in some
> library and ran command:
>   bzr update -r1234 myfilename.c
>
> Well this was a big mistake by my side
> because what I meant to do was:
>   bzr revert -r1234 myfilename.c

This does seem like a dangerously surprising behaviour to me!  I've
filed <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/557886> about it.  Code-wise
the change is simple, but I'm not sure if the existing behaviour is
intentional or just an accident.  Anyone know?  I suspect it's an
accident.

[...]
> Too bad there is no undo for "update" (or
> any other command) in bazaar.

Yes, this is a shame.  Although in a sense this is what “bzr commit” is
there for, I understand why it wasn't something you naturally used in
this instance.

-Andrew.