Ending a (Feature) Branch

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Wed Apr 7 04:54:03 BST 2010

I've had a look at the online docs and can't find anything that shows
how to end a Feature Branch (or any branch).

I have created a branch, made changes and committed, then merged back
into the parent branch.  The Feature Branch is no longer required so how
do I delete it ??

Do I just do a local rmdir ??

What about history of this branch ??  I guess if it is not a shared repo
then all the history is in the branch so therefore deleting the dir also
deletes all it's history.  Correct ??

'bzr info' of my branches shows that they are standalone branches, so I
can just remove the branch directory and that's the end of story, right ??

If it was a shared repo, then things seem to get more complicated.
Google searches reveal plenty of questions on this topic but no
definitive answers.
Is there consistent way to end a branch and remove it for all types of
branches ??
I would hope that users wouldn't have to do drastically different things
to end a branch, depending on the type of branch, etc.  The UI should be
consistent/similar and informative so as to not be open to accidental
user error :)

Thanks,
Brendan.