Loggerhead directions

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.foss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 20:10:24 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
> wrote:

> On 01/04/10 18:10, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>
>  Its really not clear to me what value for loggerhead, which is pretty
>> close to barebones wsgi, adopting a framework brings for the goals of
>> making it fast and packaged?
>>

> For those goals, very little.

Are there other goals for loggerhead that a framework adoption with assist
with?

>  Regarding template engines, both jinja2 and chameleon, basically take
>> their respective template languages (django and zope page templates) and
>> compile that out to python code for execution. Given the existing
>> template implementation i'd probably just continue with zpt/chameleon.
>>

> My only concern with Chameleon is portability: it only runs on CPython
> according to
> http://docs.repoze.org/bfg/current/narr/templates.html#chameleon-zpt-templates.
> How do we support IronPython and Jython? Conditionally import chameleon and
> fall back to simpleTAL if we can't?
>
> Ian C.

Is cross language implementation really a concern? All the bzr speed up
extensions would also be unusable, and currently bzr itself doesn't work
with jython for example (the osutils module is full of cpython specific
items). There are minor syntax differences with simpletal vs. chameleon,
namely that the default expression language is python, most of this can be
dealt with transparently by prefix all expressions with python: (most of
them already are). The main issue with chameleon and other language
implementations is the conformance of the expat parser when parsing the
templates. Alternatively shipping the chameleon generated python files, with
a custom loader that would prefer the compiled files over templates
irrespective of file mtimes, would allow usage in other python lanaguage
implementaitons.

cheers,

Kapil