bzr-git, tdb and sqlite

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Sat Apr 3 12:20:26 BST 2010

Jelmer,

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 13:04 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> I have recently been working on improving the infrastructure for using
> caches in bzr-git. One of the consequences of this is that it will
> always try to open the existing cache file that is present and uses a
> single cache file, rather than whatever it can manage to open.

I had spotted the rapid change of bzr-git and Dulwich so I had assumed
there was a cache thing happening.

> You're seeing this error because it's trying to move the cache to a
> single location and failing because there's two caches (tdb and
> sqlite) it is trying to move to that single location. I wonder what
> the best course of action is in that situation, but giving an obscure
> error message certainly isn't the right approach.

I guess my only problem is that if I simply remove the caches I suffer a
very long next access period, but maybe that is just a small price to
pay?

The message I posted is just the first few lines of a long stack trace,
which is definitely not the right message I'm afraid.  It would be much
better to have a message that is less aggressive.

Given that I am using both SQLite and TDB caches in the same filestore I
guess I am not going to be able to anything until the new cache
technology is in place?

> This is all happening in preparation of a new cache format that is
> based on Bazaar pack files, should be faster *and* concurrently accessible
> *and* NFS friendly.

Sign me up :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder