git-style branches

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Mar 28 15:18:12 BST 2010

http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/GitStyleBranches answers a
long-standing question of mine (how can I create branches cheaply after
doing a bzr branch lp:someproject without creating a shared repository
in advance).

I see that step 5, which is originally

  bzr switch ../$FOO-repo/{devel,feature1}

can be simplified to

  bzr switch feature1

and bzr will do the right thing in a lightweight checkout of a branch
from a shared repository.

I do not know exactly what conditions make this possible (must it be a
checkout?  Is it sufficient to use a shared repository?), so I hesitated
to update the wiki page.

Can step 4 be simplified in a similar manner?  Currently it is

  bzr branch . ../$FOO-repo/feature1

I'd like to never have to specify the shared repository path again after
the bzr reconfigure step.

I see that I could do steps 4 and 5 as a single step

  bzr switch -b feature1

which is perhaps sufficient, since I expect people will be wanting to
work on the branches they've created.

Again, I don't know exactly what conditions make it possible, but since
it simplifies the overcomplicated procedure immensely, I added it to the
wiki page.

Sadly, the wiki page itself is now a bit too complicated, as it lists
alternative ways of doing things.  I'd like somebody more familiar with
bzr than I am see if the older and longer versions of the commands can
be safely removed from that wiki page.

(BTW there's a broken image where the <!> icon is supposed to be.)

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
I'm a shareware signature!  Send $2 if you use me, $10 for a manual.