Bazaar Presentation.

Eric Berry elberry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:19:17 GMT 2010

Hi John,

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM, John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net>wrote:

> One thing I found interesting was the migration story.  Bazaar has one
> too, and it's probably not quite as easy as implied.  I haven't done
> much on this front, so my apologies if I get it wrong.  If I
> understand things correctly, you'll need to make sure you install your
> hook plugins on the new server, otherwise you won't get your emails,
> or whatever.  Also, Bazaar has gone through a number of formats (sorry
> to bring up the past!), and there have been issues.  Failures trying
> to do it remotely, or it taking a long time to perform the upgrade.  I
> think Git has been the only one who hasn't changed their model in a
> breaking way.  Also, downstream folks will need to update references
> to their branch locations at some point if they want to receive new
> updates, or push changes back.  So while you don't have to relocate
> your working copy immediately, you still need to effectively do the
> same down the road.

I don't quite understand. To be honest, I haven't performed a full migration
with bzr yet either. At least, not one where I've had to worry about hooks
and plugins. Are you referring to migrating a single bzr branch, or a full
bzr repository, and are you cautioning that the plugins and hooks won't go
along with a push?