Bazaar Presentation.

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 25 14:22:44 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:32:58PM -0400, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> I actually have a question for you regarding your use of bazaar with
> Subversion. I get the impression that Subversion is the "official" VCS
> used by your company? How have you found Bazaar's integration and
> interoperability with Subversion?

I've tried a few times over the years; it's been a bit of a
hit-and-miss.  A few times I got internal errors from bzr-svn when
attempting the initial checkout (often those were raised by Subversion
Python bindings rather than any bzr or bzr-svn code); whereas git-svn
handled those repositories fine.

If you have a simple repository that used the same layout, things should
work just fine.  The initial checkin used to be very slow if you
had many revisions.  I just tried a bzr branch svn-checkout
new-bzr-branch and it took 3 minutes to branch 1418 revisions (from a
svn repository that has 11625 revisions total).

  I've got a new Intel SSD disk which makes disk operations very quick,
  but the new bzr branch takes only 64 megs, so I don't think a slower
  disk would be noticeable.  The operation was either CPU (1.8 GHz Core
  2 Duo) or network bound (WiFi, I've never seen more than 1 megabyte
  per second go over it).  Real time: 2m39.385s, user time: 1m36.066s,
  system time: 4.800s.  Second attempt -- real time: 2m1.740s, user
  1m29.126s, system 0m4.636s -- I suppose the repo itself got into disk
  cache on the server side, which made things 25% faster.

If you have interesting history (e.g. migrating from everything-in-root
to trunk-branches-tags, or removing trunk and replacing it with a
branch, or inventing your own organization like /trunk, /tags,
/branches, /branches/obsolete, later renamed to /obsolete-branches) then
expect bzr-svn not to do what you want.  Actually, now I realize that
that that only concerns whole repository conversion; working with a
single branch should work fine anyway.  And besides, if you're only now
converting CVS to svn, you shouldn't have any strange history.

> The repo already has nearly 40,000 revisions in it and
> we haven't imported my team's project yet, which has been in CVS for 9
> years under active development and I'm sure will result in another
> 40,000 revisions. I fear...

(I'm still using Subversion because I haven't found any tools that can
handle our interesting history; writing our own seems like a nontrivial
job.  Then there's the decision to make about which DVCS to migrate to;
git's colocated branches, infamous speed, and polished UI for local
operations--like spawning a pager by default for git log/diff--are very
appealing; bzr is often more user-friendly and I'd rather hack on
repository conversion tools written in Python than in perl.)

Marius Gedminas