Bazaar spontaneously unusable

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Mar 25 13:31:03 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 15:03 +0200, Gary van der Merwe wrote:
> On 25/03/2010 14:19, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> > Russel Winder wrote:
> >> I appreciate that using bzr.dev is bleeding edge but the recent change
> >> of bzrlib version has rendered a number of plugins unusable:
> >>
> >> Unable to load plugin 'svn'. It requested API version (2, 1, 0) of module <module 'bzrlib' from '/home/Checkouts/Bazaar/Bazaar/Mainline_Working/bzrlib/__init__.pyc'> but the minimum exported version is (2, 2, 0), and the maximum is (2, 2, 0)
> >> Unable to load plugin 'git'. It requested API version (2, 1, 0) of module <module 'bzrlib' from '/home/Checkouts/Bazaar/Bazaar/Mainline_Working/bzrlib/__init__.pyc'> but the minimum exported version is (2, 2, 0), and the maximum is (2, 2, 0)
> >> Unable to load plugin 'rewrite'. It requested API version (2, 1, 0) of module <module 'bzrlib' from '/home/Checkouts/Bazaar/Bazaar/Mainline_Working/bzrlib/__init__.pyc'> but the minimum exported version is (2, 2, 0), and the maximum is (2, 2, 0)
> >> Unable to load plugin 'loggerhead'. It requested API version (2, 1, 0) of module <module 'bzrlib' from '/home/Checkouts/Bazaar/Bazaar/Mainline_Working/bzrlib/__init__.pyc'> but the minimum exported version is (2, 2, 0), and the maximum is (2, 2, 0)
> >
> > Personally, I'm not a fan of our "default to failure" approach. I find
> > this truly annoying and think it's an anti-pattern.
> >
> > Surely we can engineer a robust system without breaking half of our
> > popular plugins every six months like this? Our current process doesn't
> > scale. Imagine the scenario if we had 10 times as many plugins as now.
> > I'm certainly pleased that my Firefox plugins continue working 99% of
> > the time after each new Firefox release.
> >
> In qbzr we require_mimimum_api(bzrlib, (1, 17, 0), rather than require_api. This makes sense because bzr keeps its api so stable.

> Luks allways likes to point out that qbzr rev 1 still works with the
> latest bzr.dev.
qbzr has the luxury that it's a user (not a provider) of a limited set
of relatively stable API's in Bazaar.

OTOH Older versions of bzr-svn and bzr-git will break with newer
versions of Bazaar, because they don't accept certain arguments that
newer versions of Bazaar are now passing in.

Cheers,

Jelmer