Bazaar Presentation.

Eric Berry elberry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 07:36:59 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net> wrote:

> I actually have a question for you regarding your use of bazaar with
> Subversion. I get the impression that Subversion is the "official" VCS
> used by your company? How have you found Bazaar's integration and
> interoperability with Subversion?
>
> I ask because my company is moving from CVS to Subversion. Yes, CVS. :P
> Anyway, I have been wondering how feasible it would be for me to use
> Bazaar locally for feature branches, etc. while still using the official
> Subversion repo. The repo already has nearly 40,000 revisions in it and
> we haven't imported my team's project yet, which has been in CVS for 9
> years under active development and I'm sure will result in another
> 40,000 revisions. I fear...

Hi Gordon,
   The integration is awesome. It's ALMOST seamless. There are a few
features that the bzr-svn plugin doesn't seem to work with, the biggest one
for me is svn:ignore to bzrignore, and visa-versa. As a result, I ended up
taking the svn:ignore and translating by hand into bzrignore patterns. Then
committed the .bzrignore file to our svn repo.

I've been using bzr (with bzr-svn plugin) as a svn client replacement, with
the repository in svn, for almost a year now without any major issues. I've
really ever had one issue where someone performed a bad svn merge with an
older svn client. This resulted in the svn merge properties not being set
correctly. I fixed it by performing the merge again in bzr, and just
reverting the conflicted files.

The importing thing is that I've been using bzr on top of svn for almost a
year, and no one else in the company has noticed. Meaning my commits,
pushes, merges, and branches have all been successfully committed back to
SVN without SVN, or my co-workers knowing the difference. :)

Goodluck with your cvs to svn conversion, my previous company started down
that path and eventually gave up on the history.

Cheers,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://www.townsfolkdesigns.com/blogs/elberry