converting CVS to a pre-existing Bzr branch

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 24 04:42:54 GMT 2010

On 24 March 2010 12:33, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Here's the situation: we have a package (Gnus) that is currently
> maintained under CVS.
> This package is included in Emacs, so the same files are also in Emacs's
> Bzr repository.  Furthermore, we want to keep those two sets of files in
> (bidirectional) sync.
>
> I thought a good way to do that is to have some semi-automatic
> conversion of the CVS branch into a Bzr repository and then try and use
> Bzr to help do the merges.
>
> The first problem there is that the file-ids of the two Bzr branches
> need to agree, i.e. the CVS->Bzr conversion cannot just pick random new
> file-ids but instead needs to use the file-ids already in use in Emacs's
> Bzr branch.
>
> Any hint how I might do that?

It sounds like a reasonable approach.  If you were doing intermittent
manual imports, you could use 'add --file-ids-from', though that may
not handle them being at different points in the tree.

Perhaps the best thing is to work out what cvs conversion tool you are
going to use, and go from there.  I don't know of any that has built
in code to handle this (but I may just not know of it.)

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>