Excessive network traffic for pulling a small change

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Thu Mar 11 18:47:42 GMT 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:38:50 +0100
Joke de Buhr <joke at seiken.de> wrote:

> Branching works different compared to the way subversion does it.
> Using "bzr branch" to create a branch causes a lot of data to be
> transfered unless repositories or lightweight checkouts are used.

I fully understand that if you clone a remote branch initially you will
be downloading the entire history.  However, we are talking about
incremental updates: updating an existing local branch that is a clone
of a remote branch.  The operation causing concern is a ‘pull’ of just
one small revision.

Also, I think using a lightweight checkout of the remote branch would be
a *terrible* solution for a user on a 5 kbps connection since simple
operations like log, diff, and status would have to do network access.
(Sure, if the user only wants to get the tree contents once, but is not
interested in exploring history and using the local copy for
development, than a lightweight checkout is efficient by reducing
up-front costs in exchange for extremely high performance cost to
interactive operations during use later on.)

Regards,
Colin