bzr-plugin-info [suggest plugins at runtime]

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Mon Mar 8 20:19:51 GMT 2010

On 08/03/2010 3:12 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 08:48 -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:
>> Why not load the database from a server? That way plugin authors can
>> publish and update plugins after the bzr release.
>
> Its generally bad form to do network access when someone mistypes a
> command ;)

Sorry, I was typing on my phone on the train to work so I was perhaps
more terse that I should have been.

> We can certainly have a 'refresh from a database' feature, but I think
> we do need a local store (which the plugin has - cached.py).

That's what I was thinking -- something like apt. A command to update
the plugin database and a command to query the database. A mistyped
command will query the database and suggest plugins that it thinks may
match.

I believe that a static plugin database shipped with the bzr release
will become rapidly out of date and less useful than it could be.

Ciao,
Gordon