Fixing rebase rather than avoiding it

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 4 05:16:02 GMT 2010

Óscar Fuentes writes:

 > Not enough. bzr has mechanisms for enforcing that revisions on the left
 > hand of the branch remains there. AFAIK this is not possible with git.

I'm sure it's possible, although git itself may not yet provide the
feature.

I've also seen examples where bzr fails to enforce it (presumably the
feature wasn't being used), and I've seen some complaints (that may
have been hypothetical) that the enforcement mechanism used by bzr is
*too* restrictive.

 > If you want to use bisect, git forces you too make all commits
 > bisectable.

No, it does not.  Like Mercurial it supports both "bisect skip" and a
return code of 125 from the run script.

 > With bzr you can limit that policy to merge commits, and
 > then apply more liberal rules for committing on feature branches.

This can be done easily enough in a git bisect run script.

You may not consider that sufficiently straightforward, of course.