plugins vs builtins

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Mar 3 08:36:50 GMT 2010

On 3 March 2010 19:24, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
> Martin Pool пишет:
>>
>>  * Startup delays caused by plugins; can be addressed by import tariffs.
>
> What is "import tariffs"? And how it can help here?

See the thread of that name last month:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2010q1/066769.html> and
test_import_tariff.py.

We can now easily write deterministic reliable tests that for example
"qt is not loaded when I run a non-qt command" or "dulwich is not
loaded unless I access a git branch."

For example -- the first list is a command, the second list is of
forbidden modules

    def test_simple_local(self):
        # 'st' in a working tree shouldn't need many modules
        self.make_branch_and_tree('.')
        self.run_command_check_imports(['st'], [
            'bzrlib.remote',
            'bzrlib.smart',
            'smtplib',
            'tarfile',
            ])

Much much more can be done here, and it would be a good and easy way
for people to reduce startup time knowing it will stay down.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>