Pushing after merge considered harmful

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Mar 1 21:00:54 GMT 2010

Neil Martinsen-Burrell <nmb at wartburg.edu> writes:

> On 2010-02-28 14:44 , Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>>> .. warning::
>>>
>>>     This is advanced documentation of the Bazaar version control system and
>>>     its underlying conceptual model.  It is not intended as a first
>>>     introduction to the system.  However, it can provide a deeper level of
>>>     understanding of the structures that underlie it and thus it may be
>>>     helpful once you are familiar with using Bazaar for version control.
>>
>> This reminds me of John Wiegley's great "Git from bottom up"
>>
>> http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/git.from.bottom.up.php
>
> That's what I was thinking when I wrote it: that Bazaar didn't have a
> document that gave such a nuts and bolts description as that.  Do you
> think that the similarity is so strong that I ought to reference that
> work here?

First, I was not disputing the originality of the document. It is
natural that similar systems end creating similar documents.

That said, it is up to you to consider mentioning git's document for
crediting its influence, but directing the readers there wouldn't be
helpful. git's internals are different enough from bzr that Wiegley's
document would be hardly useful for the bzr user. If you put the
reference on your document, a note explaining that circunstance would
save the reader quite a bit of confussion.