new plugin: commit-from-news

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 1 07:51:38 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 11:51 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> >> That sounds good.  Can you please add it to the plugin guide in lp:bzr-alldocs?
> >
> > I don't know if its appropriate (or not appropriate for that matter).
> > Ian is the arbiter for that list, I thought?
>
> It's appropriate. I'm happy to add it. Please raise a bug in
> bzr-alldocs, assign it to me and I'll get to it the next time I refresh
> the Plugins Guide.

Done.

> > Can I beg again, for bzr-alldocs to be in lp:bzr? It would be /so much/
> > more convenient.
>
> It's an inversion of control thing. bzr-alldocs includes stuff that the
> core project shouldn't need to know about, e.g. what's the current
> stable vs test version, the registry of plugins, when to pick one plugin
> over another (soon), etc. I don't feel any of that information ought to
> live in the core.

I'm really not clear on this. Surely when bzr 2.2.0 gets released its
stable - there is no ambiguity there. I'm sure you've thought it all
through - I just need to understand it.

I don't know if you've seen bzr-plugin-info, which we put together back
in 2008; I've been meaning to do a spike on it recently, and managed to
make time today to do so: it now ships with a cache of inspected plugins
(we need a cron job put together somewhere). I think this would be an
excellent place for at least the plugin-specific data that I understand
bzr-alldocs to carry: because it pulls it from the plugins themselves,
it can be freshened more easily.

I'm going to send a separate mail about bzr-plugin-info, so as not to
cross the streams.

-Rob